Open Source Developer at Corelight (Munich, Germany) (allows remote)
Posted 2 weeks ago
Corelight is a high-growth security startup that emerged from the open source community of Zeek (formerly Bro), a powerful and widely-used network monitoring framework. We secure some of the most sensitive and mission-critical networks in the world, and our rapidly-growing customer base includes eight of the Fortune 50. Open source is in our DNA: Corelight was co-founded by the inventor of Zeek along with its key open source committers.
We are seeking an experienced C++ developer interested in developing future versions of Zeek with us. This is a full time position doing open source development: You will work on Zeek’s open source code base, and you will interact with Zeek’s global user and developer community to integrate feedback & review contributions. Your work will shape Zeek going forward, and your code will become deployed widely by some of the largest organizations in the world.
- Design and develop new features for open source Zeek
- Maintain & modernize Zeek’s existing code base
- Write technical Zeek documentation
- Help maintain Zeek infrastructure & community resources
- Support the open source Zeek community through GitHub, mailing lists, social media
- Participate in Zeek community events
- Collaborate with related open source projects & communities to advance joint interests
- Support integration of Zeek into Corelight products
- Bachelor's degree
- 2+ years of software development in C++ on Unix-style platforms
- Experience programming in standard scripting languages (e.g,. Python) and Unix shells (e.g., bash)
- Experience with common open source development work flows and tools (e.g., GitHub, Git, CMake)
- Master’s degree or above, preferably in computer science or related field
- 5+ years of software development in C or C++
- History of substantial contributions to an open source project
- Familiarity with Zeek and, ideally, the Zeek C++ code base
- Experience developing security or networking software, in particular network intrusion detection systems
- Understanding of network protocols and tools for analyzing network traffic (tcpdump, Wireshark, Snort, Suricata)
- Experience programming in C++11 or newer
- Working in, or closely with, security operations
The preferred location for this position is one of our offices in San Francisco, CA; or Columbus, OH. Remote work is an option. If you are interested in remote work, please point that out in your application.
We understand that no candidate is perfectly qualified for any job. Experience comes in different forms; many skills are transferable; and passion goes a long way. Even more important than your resume is a clear demonstration of dedication, impact, and the ability to thrive in a fluid and collaborative environment. We want you to learn new things in this role, and we encourage you to apply if your experience is close to what we’re looking for.
We also know that diversity of background and thought makes for better problem solving and more creative thinking, which is why we're dedicated to adding new perspectives to the team.
Working at Corelight
In addition to helping to make networks safer around the world, Corelight is a great place to work. We provide competitive salaries, equity and benefits, but those are just table stakes. No matter where you're based, we aspire to make working here one the best experiences of your career.