Research Fellow - Computer Vision & Machine Learning
The University of Western Australia
Posted 2 weeks ago
- Opportunity to contribute to an industry funded project
- Fixed term appointment for 2 years
- Level B/C
The University of Western Australia (UWA) is ranked amongst the top 100 universities in the world and a member of the prestigious Australian Group of Eight research-intensive universities. With an enviable research track record, vibrant campus and working environments, supported by the freedom to ‘innovate and inspire’ there is no better time to join Western Australia’s top University.
About the team
The Department of Computer Science and Software Engineering under the School of Physics, Mathematics and Computing is renowned for its award-winning researchers, teachers and facilities. The broad-based undergraduate and postgraduate programs are complemented by a wide range of research activities and the School is a leader in developing graduates with high level expertise in computer programming and the methods involved in performing complex computations and processing data. In the resource rich state of Western Australia the opportunities for partnership and collaborative research are extensive and the School has well established links with industry.
About the opportunity
You will support an industry funded project involving the development of advanced computer vision and deep learning algorithms for the automatic detection, identification and evaluation of crop stress using remotely sensed multi-modal and high-dimensional data. You will be part of a dynamic multidisciplinary team that will contribute to new and exciting research that will benefit the multi-billion dollar Australian grain industry.
To be considered for this role you will demonstrate:
- PhD in Computer science or other relevant field.
- Experience in the supervision of Honours, Masters and PhD students
- Highly developed interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills with the ability to work effectively as part of a team and engage with relevant external stakeholders.
- The ability to work independently and show initiative.
To be successful in this role you will have a research track record with high quality publication outputs, relative to opportunity, in Computer Vision and Deep Learning, preferably for multi-modal and high-dimensional data and have an excellent command of relevant programming and software packages.
Full details of the position responsibilities and the selection criteria are outlined in the position description. In preparing your application you are asked to demonstrate clearly that you meet the selection criteria.
Please see the position description prior to applying: Research Fellow_CSSE.pdf
Closing date: Sunday, 14 June 2020
This position is open to international applicants.
Possibility to work remotely while COVID-19 restrictions persist
Application Details: Please apply online via the Apply Now button.
Our commitment to inclusion and diversity
UWA is committed to a diverse workforce. We celebrate inclusion and diversity and believe gender equity is fundamental to achieving our goal of being a top 50 university by 2050.
- We have child friendly areas on campus, including childcare facilities. Flexible work arrangements, part-time hours and job sharing will all be considered.
- UWA has been awarded Platinum Employer Status for being a Top Ten Employer for LGBTI Inclusion by the Australian Workplace Equity Index (AWEI -2019)