Site Reliability Engineer at Niche.com (Pittsburgh, PA) (allows remote)
Posted a week ago
We believe people's lives are made better by having the right resources to inform their biggest life decisions. Niche is the best place to research U.S. colleges, schools, neighborhoods, and companies. Every month millions of people use our easy-to-read and comprehensive reports cards, rankings, and reviews to choose the right schools, neighborhoods, and companies for them.
Niche is all about finding where you fit in and that mission inspires how we operate every day in our office. On top of that, we want Niche to be a place people truly enjoy working.
About the Role
We're looking for a driven, resourceful, and systematic Site Reliability Engineer (SRE) to join our growing team. As an SRE, you will help Niche improve and scale its technical infrastructure to foster fast paced and secure environments utilizing DevOps principles. Engineering emphasis will be placed on development of systems and tools to improve the stability, observability, security, and change velocity of Niche.com's application and data systems.
What You Will Do
During the 1st Month:
- Collaborate with various team members to learn how your role fits within the team, the tech department, and Niche
- Shadow Infrastructure team members to learn more about our tech stack, the products we support, and our development standards and processes
- Code, test, and ship fixes for bugs and tech debt
Within 3 Months:
- Join the platform product team and begin working within an Agile development framework
- Collaborate with other Infrastructure team members to break down and implement new features or functionality
- Participate in code reviews and provide thoughtful, constructive feedback to other Infrastructure team members
- Gain exposure to the platform's underlying application stacks and deployment processes
Within 6 Months:
- Work with members of the tech and product teams to identify new tools our team can create to help others
- Have the skills and knowledge in place to help analyze and resolve production issues
- Continue gaining exposure and familiarity with other critical systems such as databases, data automation, container orchestration, messaging systems, and more
Within 12 months:
- Confidently implement new functionality and fix bugs across a variety of Infrastructure projects
- Begin identifying areas for improvement in our stack and codebases, researching best practices, and making recommendations to the team on strategies to address them
- Solidify understanding of the breadth of our tech stack, including underlying infrastructure, front end applications, and internal tools, and how they interact with our back-end services
- Practice and help define what it means to be an SRE at Niche
What We Are Looking For
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, a related field, or equivalent experience
- Experience with one or more SQL databases (Postgresql, SQL Server etc.)
- Experience with one or more cloud platforms (AWS, GCP, Azure, etc.)
- Experience with one or more configuration management systems (Terraform, Ansible, Chef, etc.)
- Strong understanding of Linux systems and automation
- Working knowledge of Git
- Strong collaboration and communication skills, both verbal and written
- Full time, salaried position with competitive compensation
- Comprehensive health plan, including vision and dental, provided at no cost to the employee.
- 20 PTO days, 10 Paid Holidays and 3 Volunteer Days Off per year
- Parental leave
- Stock options and 401(k)
- Your ideas and work will make an immediate impact on our company and millions of users
Niche will only employ those who are legally authorized to work in the United States without sponsorship now or in the future for this opening.
Candidates only. No recruiters or agencies, please. All of our open positions are located in our Pittsburgh, PA office and we are open to remote candidates. Sorry, we do not offer relocation assistance.
Niche is an equal opportunity employer committed to fostering an inclusive, innovative environment with the best employees. Therefore, we provide employment opportunities without regard to age, race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, disability, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or any other protected status in accordance with applicable law. If there are preparations we can make to help ensure you have a comfortable and positive interview experience, please let us know.