Senior Systems Engineer, Data Services at Olo (allows remote)
Posted 2 weeks ago
Do you have a passion for running Data Plane Systems securely and reliably? We’re looking for a Senior System Engineer to join our Platform Operations team as an open source polyglot, driving up our fluency in services like Postgres, Redis, Kafka and Elasticsearch/Lucene. If you’re passionate about running data services securely and reliably, have experience in building and supporting data focused Open Source Software (OSS) solutions, then this is an amazing opportunity to join our team as a Sr Systems Engineer of Data Services where you’ll report to the Engineering Manager of our Infrastructure team. Our DevOps-oriented team uses Infrastructure-as-Code with automation wherever possible. The system has many moving parts and our goal is to ship high quality code frequently and with short lead times.
What You'll Be Doing
- Administering and operationalizing our most critical data services. Serve as our resident expert for Postgres and Redis, providing best practices and usage guidelines back to the developer teams
- Building virtual infrastructure in cloud platforms such as AWS
- Research, design, test, and evaluate technologies for building reactive, event-driven systems
- Cluster/Scaling/Replication maintenance as well as creation and removal of nodes
- Work with development and operations teams to deploy updates, patches and version upgrades to libraries and/or engines when required.
- Performing the following operational tasks: Capacity planning (Working across teams to propose and deploy changes to ensure scalability and reliability), Back-up/recovery processes, Run maintenance tasks (e.g. upgrades), Applying security patches, and Monitoring performance of services
- Assist in building tools, services, frameworks and interfaces to enable development teams to monitor, manage and operate code across our OSS data technology suite.
- Define best practices for how development teams on how to best consume data services technologies.
- Investigate and troubleshoot issues and make recommendations to improve system performance.
- Provide tier X support for our development teams on supported technologies
What We'll Expect From You
- In-depth working experience with AWS services and APIs
- Operational and administration experience with two of more technologies in a Cloud/SaaS environment is a plus: NoSQL databases such as MongoDB, Relational databases such as PostgreSQL, Message queues such as SQS, Pub/Sub streaming service such as Kafka, and Search and analytics engines such as Elasticsearch
- Expert knowledge of at least two of: Postgres, Redis, Kafka, Elasticsearch
- Passion for automation and Infrastructure-as-Code, with prior experience in Ansible and/or Terraform and a conviction to “do it right the first time”
- 2+ years of experience in In-memory data store administration with an emphasis on Redis
- A drive for resiliency, observability and uptime
Nice to Have
- Experience with many of the following technologies: Ansible, GitHub, SQL Server, SumoLogic, Datadog, Consul, Docker, Terraform, Kubernetes
- PCI compliance experience
What's Important to Olo
- Our families come first. We know they make us who we are and they are who we live and work for every day.
- Olo is our extended family. We’re in this together, fighting for one another. We’re happy to be here. We will not let one another down.
- We learn from and fight through setbacks. We recognize and help one another with direct feedback.
- We care about you. We offer 20 days of paid time off, fully paid health, dental and vision care premiums, stock options, a generous parental leave plan.
- We value diversity. At Olo, we know a diverse and inclusive team not only makes our products better, but our workplace better. Many groups are consistently underrepresented across the tech sector and we are fully committed to doing our part to move the needle.
- Learn more about our culture, values, and mission. https://www.olo.com/images/culture.jpg.
COVID-19 Impact Olo is committed to the well-being of candidates, employees and our community. The Olo NYC Headquarters will be closed for the foreseeable future because of the global outbreak of COVID-19. While an in-person interview is typical for many roles at Olo, we will conduct interviews via video conferencing while our HQ is closed. Olo benefits from the fact that over half of our workforce is remote, therefore we are accustomed to conducting interviews via video conferencing and we anticipate no impact on our recruiting timelines. We encourage candidates to share any concerns or questions with Olo’s recruiting team. We encourage you to apply! Olo is an equal opportunity employer and diversity is highly valued at our company. All applicants receive consideration for employment. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. If you like what you read, hear, and/or know about Olo, and want to be a part of our team, please do not hesitate to apply! We are excited to hear from you!