Technical Engagement Project Manager at Canonical (allows remote)
Posted 2 weeks ago
What is Canonical?
Canonical is a growing international software company that works with the open-source community to deliver Ubuntu, the worlds best free software platform. Our mission is to realise the potential of free software in the lives of individuals and organisations. Our services are helping individuals and businesses worldwide to reduce costs, improve efficiency and enhance security with Ubuntu.
This role will provide technical account leadership and insight as part of the technical interface for our key enterprise accounts. It will also include day to day project management acting as the liaison between Canonical's engineering teams and Canonical's engineering clients. This is a high-profile Technical Engagement Project Management position where customer relationship management and advocacy for Canonical's technical assets are strategically crucial.
You will be responsible for facilitating customer-focused collaboration, team upskilling and driving innovation initiatives with the client. You will proactively evaluate client situations and drive client vision that could ultimately lead to additional revenue-generating business opportunities. You will assist in modernizing team structure to enable flexibility and improved responsiveness (increased deal velocity). You will follow team consistency and collaboration regarding SOW definition during delivery and commercial review process. You will support efforts to move to an Engagement model and serve as interface contact for business development and technical delivery teams.
You will be responsible for working with all stakeholders in development of a project statement of work (SoW), while identifying and making known to relevant parties, work items that were not initially part of the contract, requirement specifications or similar business documents between Canonical and their clients. You will be required to create, manage, and maintain project specific schedules ensuring projects are delivered within the time/resources/scope expectations. You will be responsible for managing multiple projects simultaneously. Finally, the role is responsible for managing the project through its life-cycle and ensuring that the overall goals for both Canonical and the client are met. Periodic international travel is required. Travel amount and duration will vary based on company and program requirements.
As a Project Manager you will own, drive and communicate the following responsibilities:
- Successful delivery of professional engineering services assigned projects.
- Assist in development of a project statement of work and RFI/RFP response.
- Actively participate in commercial reviews.
- Draft and maintain project specific schedules / project plans.
- Obtain client agreement to the project schedule and agreed upon work items.
- Ensure projects are delivered within the time/resources/scope expectations.
- Manage project risk mitigation and plans.
- Conduct weekly status meetings and quarterly business reviews with customers for assigned engineering projects. Customer status meetings will take the form of teleconferences and at times face to face meetings by exception.
- As needed, maintain daily communication with the client via email and other means.
- As needed, manage the delivery schedule of critical third party deliverables for the project Identify any and all engineering requests that are not part of an existing business contract
- Managing assigned projects through their life-cycles.
- Keep management informed of the status of assigned engineering projects.
- Effectively manage customer relationships for cutting-edge projects.
- Advocate to customers the appropriate technologies from Canonical's portfolio.
- The candidate will be expected to deliver upon a very broad range of Ubuntu based projects.
- The candidate will be expected to support different timezones and work non-traditional hours as required to support the assigned projects.
The successful Project Manager will have:
- Proven background in IT Cloud industry as a developer or development manager
- Demonstrates in-depth technical knowledge of Canonical products and services
- IT PM or technical consulting background, 3 to 5 years preferred
- Strong communication skills with ability to succinctly report and escalate
- In-depth business acumen
- Deep understanding of Linux, Opensource, and SoC enablement processes
- Knowledge of Ubuntu OpenStack, MAAS, and JuJu a plus
- Knowledge of Linux and the wider Open Source Software community
- Degree level education in a technology field
- Strong experience required of project management in a technology company
- Ability and willingness to travel domestically and internationally
- Fluent communications skills, both verbal and written, in English
- Ability to be productive in a globally distributed team through self-discipline and self motivation, delivering according to a schedule
- Strong technical negotiation skills
Nice to have:
- Project management experience on custom engineering projects
- PMP/PMI, or PRINCE2 Practitioner Certification
- Additional languages spoken and written fluently
What Canonical Offers:
- Learning and Development
- Annual Compensation Review
- Recognition Rewards
- Annual Leave
- Priority Pass for travel
- Flexible working option
Canonical believes a diverse workforce enhances our ability to deliver world class software and services which meet the worlds computing needs. We are committed to ensuring equal employment opportunities to all qualified individuals. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.