Ruby on Rails Software Engineer at Leadfeeder (Helsinki, Finland) (allows remote)
Posted 2 weeks ago
Ruby on Rails engineers at Leadfeeder work mainly on our backends: building APIs, background data processing flows, and integrations. Being a very data-intensive application, much of the work on the backend involves optimising and effectively using various databases – Cassandra, AWS RDS & Aurora, Elasticsearch and Redis, to name a few.
Our backend consists of multiple small-to-medium-sized Ruby on Rails apps and uses serverless components (AWS Lambda, API Gateway, Kinesis) on the side. We pride ourselves on keeping apps working smoothly, and the codebase tidy and well-tested. We dedicate time for upgrades, refactoring, and overall improvements for developer productivity and happiness.
For people with skills and interest, we offer possibilities to work on our Ember.js frontend too, enabling people to grow to a fullstack role. Equally, there are opportunities to learn and be involved in infrastructure, DevOps and serverless development.
- Developing new features together with your squad
- Build internal and public APIs
- Build, benchmark and optimise our core backend components
- Helping operate our production environments on AWS
- Providing code reviews to your peers
Essentials skills and expertise:
- 2+ years work experience writing maintainable and well-tested Ruby on Rails apps
- Knowledge of database technologies
- Good teamwork and communication skills
- Skills and the right mentality for test automation
- Capability to work remotely (minimum 4-hour overlap with central European working hours)
- Experience working with various APIs
- DevOps, AWS, Terraform, Docker, Kubernetes
- Serverless computing, AWS stack in particular
- Web Analytics
- Get to work in a talented, remote-first international team
- Chance to make an impact on a global product
- Actual work-life balance with healthy 40-hour work weeks
- Flexible work time
- Biannual company retreats
- Competitive salary
- Friendly and encouraging work environment
Our hiring process:
After we've received and reviewed your application, there are a number of stages in our process.
- Initial video call. You'll get to learn more about the role and our company, and we'll learn how you communicate and what are you looking for in the job.
- Technical interview. Qualified candidates proceed to our technical interview, where we ask more in-depth technical questions.
- Home assignment. We'll test your coding skills in building a small application. You can do this at home on your own time. The assignments usually take about 4-6 hours to complete.
- Assignment review and skills interview. After our team has reviewed your assignment, we invite you to the next interview. We'll provide feedback and ask questions about your code. This interview also includes some pair-programming, where we do some improvements or additional features to your project.
- Culture interview. The final step before decisions. Great cultural fit is highly important in our remote team. We also want to give you as much as possible information on how it is to work at Leadfeeder and what our culture is like.
All interviews are done remotely over video calls, but of course, if you happen to be in the same city with some of our team members we're happy to organize a meeting on site.