Engineering Team Lead - Elasticsearch at Elastic (allows remote)
Posted 3 months ago
This job offer has expired
At Elastic, we have a simple goal: to solve the world's data problems with products that delight and inspire. As the company behind the popular open source projects — Elasticsearch, Kibana, Logstash, and Beats — we help people around the world do great things with their data. From stock quotes to real time Twitter streams, Apache logs to WordPress blogs, our products are extending what's possible with data, delivering on the promise that good things come from connecting the dots. The Elastic family unites employees across 30+ countries into one coherent team, while the broader community spans across over 100 countries.
Elasticsearch is the distributed search and analytics engine that sits at the core of the Elastic Stack. The development team is organised into functional area teams, each with a technical area lead. We are looking for a Team Lead who will take responsibility for people management and software delivery, working with the close support of technical area leads. You don’t always need to be the person with the answer or the person making the decisions, but instead should be able to guide discussions to help the team make decisions together. The Elasticsearch team includes engineers from all around the globe so the ability to work within a distributed team is essential.
What you will be doing
- Manage, mentor and lead a globally distributed team of approximately 15 experienced engineers
- Lead the efficient delivery for time-boxed software releases, ensuring high quality and innovative feature development
- Work with our Product Management team to define requirements
- Foster a culture of mutual respect, collaboration and consensus based decision-making
- Stay true to the principles of software development as adopted by our team
- Build roadmaps and lead prioritisation; balance the right amount of structure and planning for a fast paced engineering team
- Identify resource requirements and help drive recruitment of high quality colleagues
- Support the development and training of direct reports through regular performance evaluations
- Be an awesome person to work with, somebody who sincerely cares
What you will bring along
- Degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience
- Significant experience leading teams of software engineers
- Significant as a hands-on software engineer (Java or other) so you understand the core principles of the engineering work that is going on in your team
- Your heart at the right place, good sense of humour and a genuine interest in the people you work with
Experience/ interest in some of these areas would be nice
- Search and analytics tools
- Distributed systems design and development
- Time based development
- Speaking/presenting at tech conferences
- Open source projects and companies
- Automated testing
We're looking to hire team members invested in realising the goal of making real-time data exploration easy and available to anyone. As a distributed company, we believe that diversity drives our vibe! Whether you're looking to launch a new career or grow an existing one, Elastic is the type of company where you can balance great work with great life.
- Competitive pay based on the work you do here and not your previous salary
- Global minimum of 16 weeks of paid in full parental leave (moms & dads)
- Generous vacation time and one week of volunteer time off
- Your age is only a number. It doesn't matter if you're just out of college or your children are; we need you for what you can do.
Elastic is an Equal Employment employer committed to the principles of equal employment opportunity and affirmative action for all applicants and employees. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender perception or identity, national origin, age, marital status, protected veteran status, or disability status or any other basis protected by federal, state or local law, ordinance or regulation. Elastic also makes reasonable accommodations for disabled employees consistent with applicable law.