Software Engineer, iOS at Wikimedia Foundation, Inc. (allows remote)
Posted 3 months ago
This job offer has expired
Location: San Francisco, CA or Remote
The Wikimedia iOS team is a small but impactful group. We’re passionate about our global community of users and want to leverage the strengths of iOS to bring a world class Wikipedia experience to their fingertips.
The team is looking for an experienced iOS software engineer who loves to empower and delight users with thoughtfully crafted apps. In this role, you will create new features, fix bugs, and define the future of Wikipedia on mobile devices.
- Ensure the quality of the app through thoughtful code architecture decisions, automated testing, and a passion for world class user experiences
- Collaborate with design and product management to iterate on new features
- Write clean, concise code in Objective-C and Swift
- Mentor fellow engineers through technical collaboration and discussion
- 3+ years iOS development experience
- 5+ years related professional experience
- Work experience with both Objective-C and Swift
- Contributed to at least one published app in the App Store
- Technical leadership, including involvement in definition of software architecture
- Familiarity with the iOS Human Interface Guidelines, implementation, and best practices
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or management information systems (or related area), software bootcamp certification, or equivalent work experience
- Experience working in a remote environment
- You have automated development processes (Bash, Ruby, Fastlane, etc)
- Your development workflow involves writing unit and UI tests using XCTest
- Development of web services with Node.js or PHP (or both)
Show us your stuff! If you have any existing work that you’d like to highlight (these could be your own software or patches to other packages), please share the URLs. Links to GitHub or the App Store are exceptionally useful.
And it would be even more awesome if you have this:
- Passion for Wikipedia and other Wikimedia projects
- Fluency in languages other than English
- Understanding of free culture / free software / open source principles
The Wikimedia Foundation is...
...the nonprofit organization that hosts and operates Wikipedia and the other Wikimedia free knowledge projects. Our vision is a world in which every single human can freely share in the sum of all knowledge. We believe that everyone has the potential to contribute something to our shared knowledge, and that everyone should be able to access that knowledge, free of interference. We host the Wikimedia projects, build software experiences for reading, contributing, and sharing Wikimedia content, support the volunteer communities and partners who make Wikimedia possible, and advocate for policies that enable Wikimedia and free knowledge to thrive. The Wikimedia Foundation is a charitable, not-for-profit organization that relies on donations. We receive financial support from millions of individuals around the world, with an average donation of about $15. We also receive donations through institutional grants and gifts. The Wikimedia Foundation is a United States 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization with offices in San Francisco, California, USA.
The Wikimedia Foundation is an equal opportunity employer, and we encourage people with a diverse range of backgrounds to apply
Benefits & Perks *
- Fully paid medical, dental and vision coverage for employees and their eligible families (yes, fully paid premiums!)
- The Wellness Program provides reimbursement for mind, body and soul activities such as fitness memberships, baby sitting, continuing education and much more
- The 401(k) retirement plan offers matched contributions at 4% of annual salary
- Flexible and generous time off - vacation, sick and volunteer days, plus 19 paid holidays - including the last week of the year.
- Family friendly! 100% paid new parent leave for seven weeks plus an additional five weeks for pregnancy, flexible options to phase back in after leave, fully equipped lactation room.
- For those emergency moments - long and short term disability, life insurance (2x salary) and an employee assistance program
- Pre-tax savings plans for health care, child care, elder care, public transportation and parking expenses
- Telecommuting and flexible work schedules available
- Appropriate fuel for thinking and coding (aka, a pantry full of treats) and monthly massages to help staff relax
- Great colleagues - diverse staff and contractors speaking dozens of languages from around the world, fantastic intellectual discourse, mission-driven and intensely passionate people
* for benefits eligible staff, benefits may vary by location