Scientist, Optical Systems
Posted 7 days ago
Areté Associates conducts research, development and operational capability development across the technology spectrum for a wide range of national security and commercial customers. Areté applies hard science to hard problems to develop innovative solutions. We execute cutting edge analysis in sensors, lasers, and modeling. We also conduct field tests of our products and manufacture a variety of components. An employee-owned company, Areté offers an exciting and challenging work environment with highly competitive compensation levels, a full benefits package and significant advancement opportunities.
Our Destin, FL office has an immediate opening for a Scientist, Optical Systems . This is an exempt non-supervisory full-time position.
Designs; models, simulates, and fabricates active and passive optical sensor systems; plans measurements, diagnostics and experiments; analyzes experimental data; validates theories on system performance through measurement and analysis; conducts research and development into electro-optical systems.
- Develop and apply electro-optic/imaging sensor models and simulations
- Develop algorithms for machine vision applications
- Analyze data, algorithms, and their interaction to improve algorithm performance
- Interact with system and sensor designers to improve hardware
- Present results to other staff and our customers
- May support outdoor field tests with occasional travel
- Additional duties as assigned
Required Qualifications & Experience:
- Bachelor’s, Master’s or PhD degree in engineering, physical sciences, or mathematics
- Understanding of optical systems, light propagation, and radiometry
- Experience with scientific programming in MATLAB, Python, or similar languages
- Agility to work multiple potentially disparate projects simultaneously
- Strong analytical skills demonstrated through in depth physics based modeling and data analysis
- Demonstrated understanding of the statistics of signals and noise and detection and estimation theory
- Statistical analysis, model fitting, simulation
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work with minimal supervision and collaborate on small teams
- Intellectual curiosity and desire for continuous learning
- US citizenship
Preferred Qualifications & Experience:
- Remote sensing (electro-optics, lidar, sonar)
- Experience in DIRSIG modeling
- Experience in machine learning
- Data and image fusion
- GPU programming
- Active security clearance
Areté Associates offers an excellent compensation and a full benefits package. U.S. citizenship, background screen and drug test are required to meet position eligibility. Please submit your resume on-line at: http://www.arete.com
Areté Associates is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex including sexual orientation and gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability or a disabled veteran, you have the right to request an accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to use or access our career center as a result of your disability. To request an accommodation, contact a Arete Associates Human Resources Representative.
Areté will consider for employment-qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.